Monday, September 23, 2013

Music and Bandcamp ... this one time at ...

Wow ... it's been a long time.

I know I've posted some very old lyrics (written many years ago) here, but now HB and I have been working on some songs again in our spare time for fun. Really, primarily due to poor singing (sorry about that), I can't brag on the songs that much, but have really enjoyed getting into that form of expression again.

After much deliberation, we decided to call the "band" (I put that in quotes as it's really just two guys sending stuff back and forth and adding parts - while there are enough instruments to constitute a band, I'm not sure this qualifies as an actual band) ... anyway, we're calling it "Sonder."

Deciding on the name of a band that will ultimately be heard by very few people, and likely no one outside of our immediate friends or family, may sound like an exercise in futility, but was still one we spent some time on. Of course, the first dozen or so we chose were all taken (going by iTunes and various other searches) - so, Sonder it is.

For those not familiar with the word, such as myself the day before we found it, it's defined as: the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own ... or, at least that's the prevalent definition you'll find if you search the word online.

Above, I mentioned a bit on the recording process (files sent back and forth between HB and I), here's a little more:

We use basic Garageband '11. In time, maybe we'll buy some of the more expensive plug-ins or outside programs that can improve the overall sound quality, but for the time being, we have not. We did send one song out to be mixed by someone else (Lewin Barringer, check out his YouTube page for a bunch of Garageband and general recording tips, or find them via his site: GaragebandandBeyond.com - if you're interested in such things, the whole process was smooth and Lewin was an easy guy to work with), and he did have access to some of these outside programs.

Both HB and I are doing this in our limited spare time. This means that there are certain fixes that have been left incomplete on songs, simply a sacrifice our circumstances demand. If we had more time to devote, I'm sure each song has things we'd like to fix.

Well, this is getting to be too long. By some miracle, if there ends up being some interest in this I'll write more if it seems warranted, whether that be about our process, song meanings/origins, etc ...

So, feel free to check it out at: http://sonder4.bandcamp.com/

Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment