Saturday, January 17, 2009

Trade Dirk?

From several comments on another blog (mavsblog.dallasnews.com) and both local sports radio stations (The Ticket and ESPNs GAC show) I have heard people arguing that it is time to trade Dirk Nowitzki and start rebuilding the Mavs.

To these people I have one thing to say, you're idiots. Seriously, complete idiots. And, here is why I say that you are indeed complete, helpless and unappreciative idiots.

1. The most common comment is to trade Dirk for a bunch of draft picks. So, you're basically saying send Dirk away for several first round picks and a decent player (you hope). Just how is this in anyway a good thing? Wherever you send Dirk is probably going to be a team that is already decent and at best (for the Mavs) an edge of the lottery team. Now, after getting Dirk they are probably going to get better and (especially if he goes to the East) slip out of the lottery and into the playoffs.

This means you are willing to part with a genuine superstar (more on this in a moment for the people who don't think Dirk is a superstar), for a few late first round draft picks spread out over a few years.

Without drafting in the first few picks in the NBA the odds of getting a superstar becomes very risky. Sure, there is a chance that you find the next Arenas, Granger or even Dirk, but the odds are not in your favor. The risk is that you get rid of Dirk and get a handful of average players. There is absolutely no guarantee that you find a superstar....even if you somehow manage to get into the first few picks. For every Lebron there is a Darko.

People are always quick to say rebuild when they haven't had to do it in awhile. Once you're there it's not a fun place to be, and there is no guarantee on the timetable to become legitimate again. For all we know (especially if you take into account the fact that we have what many consider to be a lame duck GM) we could go ten years and all the picks or players we get for Dirk without making the playoffs or even having the hope of making the playoffs.

Is that risk really worth getting rid of a guy that still has at least 4-5 years left of being highly productive?

2. Trade Dirk for another superstar. Ok, which ones do you think may truly be available, even for Dirk. Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Garnett, Dwight Howard, Paul...you're living in a dream world if you think you return any of those players.

I see two possibly viable options, and both remain highly unlikely. Chris Bosh (less likely) and Amare Stoudamire (not likely, but makes sense for both teams right now), and neither of these players have carried a team deep into the playoffs. Say what you want about Dirk, but he's been to the Finals with subpar talent around him. I'd go as far as saying Bosh has as much talent around him now than Dirk ever has, and what is their record?

Amare has been on some truly great, and highly talented teams that have won...but, did they win primarily due to him? I'd say two MVP trophies would disagree with you. The Suns now and then have always had more talent than the Mavs. I don't remember Amare putting up 50 against us for a win in the playoffs.

Of all possible choices, only Amare would seem to fit and I doubt strongly the Suns would even consider this. I say it fits, because Dirk would be the perfect compliment to Shaq and the tempo offense they are now trying to run in Phoenix. Plus, he gets to be reunited with Nash - and I would love to see them win a title together.

On the other side of that, it fits in Dallas because it gives us a younger player to build around (you know, kind of like we should have and should now build around Dirk). Of course, given Amare's knee issues, is this something that is going to cause him to wear down quicker than his age? Very possible.

3. And I hear or read this much more often than you think (a testament to the clear idiocy of many)...Trade Dirk just to do it and start over. Who cares what you get.

Seriously? I mean, seriously? You don't dump Jennifer Aniston unless you got Jolie already lined up. These people are basically saying, I'm tired of being either relevant or at the doorstep of being relevant. I'd like to suck for as many years to come as possible - Now, you may want to hear Jolie or Aniston say that, but not a player or management member of your sports team (unless you're watching female beach volleyball).

This is now too long, but I will return to argue why Dirk is indeed a superstar...and address any comments...should there be any.

6 comments:

  1. This is one of the toughest issues to address because of Dirk' play on the court and his personality outside of the sport. He's great for Dallas and is someone who, if given the right supporting cast, can take this team to the Finals. But, if the right offer is there then I would be in full support (Herschel Walker, anyone?) of such a deal. Say, if Phoenix were willing to give up Barbosa and Amare than I'm in. Plain and simple, I'm in. If there ever was a time to strike in Phoenix, the time is now. Kerr has an extremely itchy trigger finger and pairing Nash with Dirk would basically give the fans in Dallas a team they can wholeheartedly support if the Mavs should falter. Of course, I say this as a person who no longer resides in Dallas so I often find myself rooting for a variety of teams ( I've lived in a few cities and found the merits in each) so I could easily see myself cheering for a Phoenix team that was fronted with 2 of the best players that have ever graced American Airlines Center.

    But, if forced to choose with a loaded...whatever to my head then I want Dirk to stay. I want him to finish his career here in Dallas and I want Donnie Nelson to change his tune and bring the right cast to compliment a sensational leading man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More Scoops -

    Good comment. I've lived in a few places (though only in Texas and Oklahoma) and have seen the merits in at least the Houston and Dallas teams (I still root for the Texans above the Cowboys - though I favor the Mavs to the Rockets).

    I completely agree, were the Mavs to be blown away by a deal I'd have no problem with a trade...but that's not what most people around here are beginning to argue for. They just want a change, regardless of what it is.

    Like your deal of Barbosa and Amare, I'd be for that and I'd give full support to the Suns were they to make it deep into the playoffs.

    In a way, Dirk seems to be a lot like McNabb (though McNabb has gotten it worse ever since being booed on draft day) is in Philly. The fans don't realize how lucky they are. Also, like McNabb, Dirk has done it all without a championship caliber supporting cast.

    Give either of them that support and I think you get everything you could want as a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it spor on MD. Dirk has made a sub-par team look like contenders for a # of years now, like you said with a mediocre supporting cast. Everyone likes to say Kobe this Kobe that, look how great the lakers are doing blah blah. But where were the Lakers before they got Gasol? Nowhere... So I mean all thses people that bash Dirk should count their blessings that he's still here because he was'nt then we wouldnt have even made the playoffs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those who say the Mavs need to start over from scratch must have a short memory of the Mavericks. Dallas had an entire decade (the 1990s) that they struggled just to win 25 games in a season. Starting from scratch means having a team on the level of OKC Thunder or LA Clilppers for several years, possibly a decade, or more. Its hard to build a team that can make the playoffs in the West and there is no guarantee it could be done within 5 or even 10 years.

    Look at other recent teams that "started over from scratch":
    Seattle: Started over after the Gary Payton/ Ray Allen era. The city became a doormat team winning about 20 games per year, then lost the entire franchise to another city. They drafted successfully in Durant but the team is still several years away from sniffing the playoffs.

    Sacramento: Started over after the Chris Webber/Divac/Bibby era. Now dwelling in the basement on the Western Conf for several years despite getting a great player in Kevin Martin. Still years away from making playoffs.

    Dallas is not winning the Championship this year so forget about that. Mark Cuban's goal this year is to win 50 games for the ninth consecutive season, make the playoffs, compete well if not win the first round series. And do that while restructuring the team to have a lot of cap space for 2010. Thats the shortest route to Dallas winning a championship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff -

    Well said and good examples, and I completely agree.

    I think people often take for granted how good we currently are and forget the difficulty (and at least some level of luck - draft picks, FA signings, etc) in arriving here.

    Starting over only guarantees that starting over part, and grants no guarantee at all to the destination. Like you said, it could be a decade or longer before we have a relevant team again.

    ReplyDelete